Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Behind the Scenes: Word Count

It may not be too exciting, but the past nine days I've been plugging away at my realistic and self assigned word count schedule for "30 Days of Writing".


It has definitely been a help to have the accountability of other writers, during these early stages. Getting stuck and wanting to just "can" it and try to think of something the next day doesn't work, when you need to check in for your daily achievements!

In fact, if I DON'T check in then I get a pleasant little e-mail saying "How are you doing on your word count, I didn't hear from you yesterday?" It's so sweet and benign to hear from our leader, Lacy, but yet so SEARING for the writer's conscience! So we are all getting ourselves in shape pretty fast. 


I'm actually writing less than I was last spring on a daily basis. Back then my quota was 500 words a day on anything, just to get in the habit of writing daily and consistently. That was good, but it's another form of new development to write a specific amount now, specifically on my book daily. That's a little harder, because let's face it some days I wake up not as "inspired" in where to go next with my story, as others. 

So far my WIP (work- in-progress) word count for October is 2,620! That's not a lot since I will be writing upwards of 1-2,000 words a day by the end of the novel, but for now it's a VERY good start!  Most of it was further developing my main characters and finalizing the cast of secondary characters to include. I also spent a day doing some fun research this week, but that will be for my next blog...

My non-writing challenge for YOU this week: Learn how to make Pasta from scratch!! (WE ARE in my cooking class tomorrow)

No comments: